11.04.2010

Hiking with Rog!

Glacier National Park, British Columbia

 I am just getting around to posting my hiking pictures since late August. The weather was good
back then,  prior to our deluge in the mountains in late August to mid September. Roger' Pass is
one of those places now which gets overlooked by the masses as they drive by.. Okanagan bound. I visited Abbott Ridge again, as it had been sometime since doing so. It has such spectacular views of the Sir Donald Range and into the Mt Dawson Massif.


The views were amazing,  and it was a rare day as the recent forest fire smoke has not overwhelmed the area yet.


 Glacier National Park has many sides to explore.  One area which does see more in the way of hikers is the Purcell side of the park. Here are a couple views looking into the Beaver River and the east sides of the ranges. The terrain is rolling ridges with meadows and deep valleys. There are great vistas to the Rockies, Purcells to the south and the Selkirks.


Looking into Connaught Creek where the highway goes to Rogers Pass and to the west towards Glacier Park.


Lake O'Hara in Yoho National Park 

With the wet weather arriving in late August and September,  I only had a couple of chances to visit the larches of O'Hara. In my 2 attempts of getting there, the weather did apply a different style of hiking for me..looks like winter!


While fresh snow always has a special way of showing us that we are not in control, it also  gives a special beauty to the mountains. On my first trip they were not ready, and even late one could say. But there were hints of larch heaven, and I knew I had to try again.


O'Hara is spectacular in most any condition, and the second trip gave me a little more of the peak colors I had been waiting for,  but it was not for long.


The colors were showing up in the plants as. The highlight of fall can warm the heart.
The hiking was good in the snow, I just did not want winter so early. Things did end up getting better and we enjoyed some clear spells in late October. The mountains along with nature will always do what they need to do...and not what I want it to. With that said I still seem to be able to capture what I want..


No comments:

Post a Comment