7.19.2010

Finally got the Finns to the Abbey!

My heritage, Laurila is Finnish. My Grandfather was one of 14 kids in his family that was based in a central Finnish town named Lapua. 2 years ago I went to Finland for the first time with my Uncle Ray, my fathers brother from Sicamous BC. While on that trip I met so many of my relatives I could not see straight. We ate, drank and enjoy Johannus which is a major Solstice event of the year.  The farming countryside of Lapua appears to be flat and heavily forested, and it was a very special trip to be able to see from where my roots originate.


It was on that trip I extended an offer to my second cousins Jari, Kirsii and her husband Aki to come to Canada and do a special mountain trip with me.
In March of this year they decided to make that trip, and the plans were put down for a trip to the Central Selkirks.
On July 19th we flew from Golden into the Abbey and the flight included Jari, Kirsii, Aki, Ray and his daughter Corinne who is my cousin.
For Aki and Corinne who had not been in a helicopter before it was a thrill just to see the mountains in such endless vistas.
Once at the Abbey we quickly brought out the"mackarra" (sausage), potatoes and salad. It was my chance to get back at them for the numerous buffets I had to attend in Finland two years prior! My plan was hold them captive and feed them to no end...
But with the hiking and scrambling I think they burnt more off than added, so my plan failed to fatten the Finns.
Over the next 4 days we hiked over to the Fay-away Gazebo, Crowsnest Gazebo, Schooner Pass and Hubbards Roost. Each having exceptional views of Houston and Butters Creeks.



They loved it... "dis is no Finland...no many trees up here" Jari said after arriving at the Roost!
 


Mt Butters reflected from the small pond above the hut in early morning.












Looking across to Polaris, Mounts, Beaver and Duncan over Butters Creek.





Battle Abbey with a view towards Moby Dick and the divide of the Selkirk's at Butters Creek.




Cocktails on the deck with 3 Finnish Finns and "3 Canadian Finns"



It was awesome to finally have family at the Abbey. It was great that they came to come Canada to see what our mountains are all about.

Thank you Jari, Kirsii, Aki, Corinne and Ray!

No comments:

Post a Comment